Sell your damaged car for cash – we pay the best prices for damaged cars, with free collection

Understanding the V5 Document (Logbook) in the UK


If you own a vehicle in the UK, you’ve probably heard of the V5 document, commonly known as the V5 logbook. This official document, issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), is crucial for vehicle ownership. 

It records the registered keeper of a vehicle and includes essential details like the vehicle's make, model, and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).


How to Obtain a V5 Document

So, how do you get your hands on a V5 document? When you purchase a vehicle, the previous owner should hand over the V5C/2 section of the logbook. 

With this, you’ll need to register as the new keeper by sending the completed V5C logbook form to the DVLA. 

Bought a new car from a dealer? They usually handle this paperwork for you, making the process a breeze.


Selling a Car: Is a V5 Necessary?

Thinking about selling your car? Technically, you can do it without the car’s logbook, but it’s a bit of a hassle. 

The buyer will need to apply for a new V5 logbook using a V62 form and pay a £25 fee. This can take several weeks, during which the buyer might struggle with taxing and insuring the vehicle. 

To keep things smooth and simple, it’s best to have the V5 document ready.


Proving Ownership Without a V5 Document

Lost your V5? Don’t worry, you can still prove ownership. 

You’ll need to apply for a replacement by filling out a V62 form and sending it to the DVLA with a £25 fee. You can find this form on the DVLA website or at your local Post Office.


Taxing a Car Without a V5

Need to tax your car but don’t have the V5 logbook? It’s possible, but you’ll need a V62 form (the application for a car’s logbook) and possibly a new keeper supplement (V5C/2). You can handle this online or at a Post Office.


Getting a V5 When Buying a New Car

When you buy a new car from a dealer, they usually take care of the registration process and provide you with the V5C/2 logbook section. 

The DVLA will then send the full V5 document to you by post. Easy!


In Summary

The V5 document is a key piece of paperwork for vehicle ownership in the UK. It’s essential for selling, taxing, and proving ownership of your car. 

Always make sure you have your V5 in order when dealing with any vehicle-related transactions. It keeps everything running smoothly and ensures you’re on the right side of the law.